Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Burmese Wikipedia community|
The Burmese Wikipedia (Burmese: မြန်မာဝီကီပီးဒီးယား pronounced [mjəmà wɪkɨˈpiːdiə]) is the Burmese language edition of the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia. This edition was started in July 2004, and has about 100,000 articles as of January 2021.
As of January 2021, there are 89,000 users, 5 admins and 2,876 files on the Myanmar Wikipedia ranking 85th by article count.
- 2004: Burmese Wikipedia launched.
- 2005: Some of Burmese Wikipedians joined and started writing.
- 2008: Content grew drastically.
- 2010: First Burmese Wikipedia workshop held at Bangkok, Thailand with people from Wikimedia Foundation, local and international Unicode experts and Burmese Wikipedians.
- 2012: Burmese Wikipedia was introduced at Barcamp Yangon.
Events and promotions
The Myanmar Computer Professionals Association had launched Wikipedia Myanmar project with the aim of expanding Wikipedia in 2010.
The Burmese Wikipedia community had held their first joint workshop in Yangon, Burma (Myanmar) with the help of Telenor Myanmar in June 2014 to recruit new volunteers. The Burmese Wikipedia Forum was held at Dagon University in July 2014 attracting over 2,000 people, including students.
The majority of Burmese internet users use the non-Unicode Zawgyi font so they have difficulty viewing Burmese Wikipedia.
Date of last edit: 2021-01-29T12:51:05.000Z